This taco salad is one of my favorites from my childhood. I remember my mom making it fairly often, especially for pot luck luncheons at our church. I love the tangy flavors of the Catalina dressing combined with the salty, crunchy corn chips. My mom didn’t always add the meat and we liked it just as well, but these days, I generally make mine with ground beef to make a heartier salad.
This recipe grows and grows! It makes a very large salad and can serve around 12 people. You can add other ingredients, like avocados, black beans and corn, as well as substitute the beef for cooked, ground turkey or diced chicken.
- 8 cups torn romaine lettuce or lettuce blend
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ½ packet taco seasoning mix
- 16 oz can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup sliced black olives
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 bag Fritos corn chips
- Brown beef; drain well. Stir in ½ packet taco seasoning. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a very large bowl combine, lettuce, kidney beans, tomatoes, olives, green onions, and cheese; mix well. Right before serving, add seasoned beef and Fritos; mix well. Add bottle of Catalina dressing and toss to coat. Serve immediately.
Incoming search terms:
- taco salad
- taco salad with catalina dressing and fritos
- taco salad with fritos
- taco salad with catalina
- taco salad with fritos and catalina dressing
- taco salad with catalina dressing
- frito taco salad
- Catalina Salad
- frito salad with catalina dressing
- taco salad recipe