Catalina Taco Salad is one of my favorites from my childhood. Sweet and tangy Catalina Dressing, Fritos, ground beef, sharp cheddar, red kidney beans, and more!
I remember my mom making Catalina Taco Salad fairly often, especially for potluck luncheons at our church. I love the tangy flavors of the Catalina dressing combined with the salty, crunchy corn chips. My mom didn’t always add the meat in this taco salad, and we liked it just as well, but these days I generally make mine with ground beef to make a heartier main dish salad.
This Catalina Taco Salad recipe grows and grows so make sure you are using a very large bowl. It makes a very large salad and can serve around 12 people or more depending on whether it is being served as a main dish or as a side dish. You can add other ingredients, like avocados, black beans and corn, as well as substitute the beef for cooked, ground turkey or diced chicken.
Have you ever made Catalina Taco Salad? What are your favorite add-ins?
Catalina Taco Salad
- 8 cups torn romaine lettuce or lettuce blend
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ½ packet taco seasoning mix
- 16 oz can red kidney beans rinsed and drained
- ½ cup sliced black olives
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 4 green onions sliced
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 bag Fritos corn chips
- Brown beef; drain well. Stir in ½ packet taco seasoning. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a very large bowl combine, lettuce, kidney beans, tomatoes, olives, green onions, and cheese; mix well. Right before serving, add seasoned beef and Fritos; mix well. Add bottle of Catalina dressing and toss to coat. Serve immediately.