This family-favorite Sweet Potato Casserole with Praline Streusel Topping will make a believer out of any sweet potato cynic!
Traditional Sweet Potato Casserole typically has a topping of toasted, melted marshmallow, but this recipe features a crunchy, sweet praline pecan topping that is out of this world!
When I was a kid, I hated sweet potatoes, even in a casserole. But as I’ve aged, I’ve come to love sweet potatoes – even plain ones!
The sweet praline topping and brown sugar make this humble side dish totally dessert worthy. It’s a really nice compliment to all of the savory flavors on the holiday table.
CAN YOU MAKE SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE AHEAD?
Yes! Although this is a quick and easy recipe, I always make this a couple days ahead and assemble and reheat in the hour or so leading up to our meal.
- Make up to 2 days ahead: Follow the directions in the recipe and place the mashed sweet potato mixture into the prepared baking dish without the streusel topping.
- Reserve the praline streusel topping mixture, cover and store it in the refrigerator for the day of baking.
- On the day of baking, remove the casserole from the refrigerator for about 2 hours in advance. Top with praline streusel topping.
- Bake the casserole according to recipe directions.
SHOPPING LIST INGREDIENTS FOR SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE:
canned sweet potatoes
for the topping:
CAN YOU USE FRESH SWEET POTATOES OR YAMS FOR THIS RECIPE?
Yes! Use 3 to 3 ½ pounds of sweet potatoes or yams in place of the canned yams.
- Place the peeled and cubed sweet potatoes in a large pot, cover with cold water, and boil over medium-high heat until tender (about 8-10 minutes, depending on the size).
- Drain well and return to the pot.
- Add butter, cream, cinnamon, brown sugar and salt to the potatoes and mash using an electric hand mixer until smooth.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.
VARIATION TOPPINGS FOR SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE:
For a twist on the praline topping, prepare recipe as directed, except add any 1 or more of the following ingredients to the pecan praline topping before baking:
Bacon – Yum! Add a savory and salty flavor to the praline topping! Add 1 cup crisp-cooked and crumbled bacon, about 8 slices
Marshmallows – 2 cups mini marshmallows
Coconut – ½ cup shredded sweetened coconut
MORE SIDE DISH INSPIRATION! CHECK OUT THESE READER FAVORITE HOLIDAY SIDES:
HAVE YOU MADE ANY OF MY RECIPES? POST THEM ON INSTAGRAM AND TAG @jennifercooks123 AND #jennifercooks!
- 2 29-oz cans sweet potatoes, drained well
- 1 stick butter melted
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 eggs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 stick butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- Grease one 9x13-inch casserole dish.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sweet potatoes, 1 stick melted butter, sugar, heavy cream, eggs, ½ teaspoon salt, vanilla extract, and cinnamon.
- Using a handheld electric mixer beat until smooth.
- Spread evenly in prepared casserole dish.
- Prepare the topping by combining the butter, salt, brown sugar, flour and pecans.
- Mix well until crumbly, and sprinkle evenly over sweet potato mixture.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until golden and toasted in the preheated oven.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Maison d' Hermine Amarante 100% Cotton 1 Piece Kitchen Apron
Fall-Inspired Metallic Dish Towel, 28 x 28-Inch, Gobble Til You Wobble
Emile Henry Made In France HR Modern Classics Large Rectangular Baker, 13 x 9", White
Double Decker Insulated Casserole Carrier for Hot or Cold Food
Nature's Eats Pecan Pieces, Natural, 24 Ounce
Hyzrz Lovely Handmade Cotton Retro Aprons
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 572Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 109mgSodium: 374mgCarbohydrates: 64gFiber: 6gSugar: 37gProtein: 7g