Count on Cauliflower Au Gratin to win over the family as a new mealtime vegetable side dish. This keto-friendly side dish is baked in a rich cheese sauce and topped with cheddar and parmesan, and baked until bubbly.
Cauliflower Au Gratin takes plain ol’ boring cauliflower to a whole new level! Tender cauliflower is smothered in a creamy comforting homemade cheese sauce. You can even add bacon and chives to kick it up a notch. This cheesy side dish will be one of the first things to go on your holiday table!
Another plus to this side dish is that it’s keto-friendly for those who are watching their carbs. It can also be made in advance to make prepping for your big meal even easier!
Shopping List Ingredients for Cauliflower Au Gratin:
- Fresh Cauliflower
- Salt and pepper
- Salted butter
- White onion
- Fresh Garlic
- Xanthan Gum
- Heavy Cream
- Sharp Cheddar
- Parmesan cheese
CAN YOU FREEZE CAULIFLOWER AU GRATIN?
Yes, you can! Just allow it to cool completely and then transfer to a freezer-friendly container, wrap or seal it tightly, and store in the freezer for up to three months. Thaw in the refrigerator the night before you would like to eat it, then warm it up in the oven (covered with foil), or heat it in the microwave.
CAN I USE FROZEN CAULIFLOWER IN THIS RECIPE?
Yes. You can swap with frozen cauliflower if that is what you have on hand. Just cook it until fork tender as directed. Sometimes as a shortcut I like to use frozen steamable bags. Just follow the directions for microwave heating, and then follow the rest of the steps in my recipe. It doesn’t affect the flavor or texture at all.
TIPS FOR CAULIFLOWER AU GRATIN:
- This recipe can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- Xanthan Gum is used in this recipe to make it keto-friendly and replaces the traditional flour. If you don’t care about low carb, you can substitute 3 tablespoons of flour for the Xanthan Gum.
- It’s very important to par-cook cauliflower florets until fork-tender because they won’t get cooked all the way in the oven and you’ll end up with crunchy cauliflower – you don’t want that in this recipe.
MORE SIDE DISH INSPIRATION!
HAVE YOU MADE ANY OF MY RECIPES? POST THEM ON INSTAGRAM AND TAG @jennifercooks123 AND #jennifercooks!
Creamy Cauliflower Au Gratin
- 2 large heads cauliflower trimmed into florets
- ½ stick salted butter
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
- 2 cups heavy cream
- pinch ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese divided
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Bring 4 quarts water to boil in Dutch oven or stockpot over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon salt and cauliflower florets; cook until fork-tender, about 6 minutes.
- Drain cauliflower in colander and rinse under cold running tap water until no longer hot.
- Leave cauliflower in colander to drain.
- Wipe out stock pot and heat butter over medium heat until melted.
- Add onion and cook until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds; stir in Xanthan Gum or flour until combined, about 1 minute.
- Whisk in cream and bring to boil.
- Stir in nutmeg, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, 1 cup cheddar cheese, and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese until incorporated.
- Remove from heat and gently stir in cauliflower until evenly combined.
- Transfer mixture into a greased 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Top with remaining cheddar cheese, then sprinkle remaining parmesan on top.
- Bake until golden brown and sauce is bubbling around edges, about 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately.