Isn’t this a beautiful appetizer? My friends and neighbors in Houston, Jillian and Thad introduced me to this and shared her recipe. This marinated cheese appetizer is easy to put together and can be done the night before. It’s one of those dishes that is not only eye catching, but a favorite at parties. You might want to make extra, because it goes fast!
I have made this appetizer many times since and it is always a crowd pleaser. You can substitute just about any cheese you want, so if you want to try pepper jack, colby jack, mozzarella or another favorite, give it a shot.
*Important Note: Slicing the cheese works best when using a cheese wire slicer like this one, for smoothly sliced cheese. Also, place the cream cheese in the freezer for about 20-30 minutes prior to slicing to firm it up and allow for more even cuts of this soft cheese.
Try this great appetizer at your next party! It’s perfect for a wine tasting party too!
- 1 (8 oz.) block sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese
- ½ c. olive oil
- ⅓ c. white wine vinegar
- 3 T. chopped fresh parsley
- 3 T. chopped fresh basil
- 3 T. minced green onions
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (2 oz.) jar diced pimiento, drained
- 1 tsp. sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground pepper
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a jar; cover tightly and shake vigorously. Set aside.
- Make sure cheeses are well-chilled (you can put them in the freezer for about 20 minutes).
- Cut block of cheddar in half lengthwise; then cut crosswise into ¼"-thick slices. Set aside. Cut the cream cheese, following the same procedure.
- Arrange cheese slices alternately in a shallow baking dish, standing slices on edges.
- Pour marinade over cheese slices. Cover and refrigerate at least eight hours.
- To serve, transfer cheese slices to a serving platter in the same alternating pattern. Spoon marinade over the cheese. Serve with assorted crackers