Cowboy Caviar has been a staple at our family get-togethers for years. At New Year’s we make it with blackeyed peas for good luck, alongside mom’s blackeyed peas.
Cowboy Caviar is really a type of bean salad made with a combination of black beans, ripe black olives, peppers, onions, seasonings and marinated in a seasoned vinaigrette. Our family serves it over softened cream cheese and scoops it up with lime tortilla chips or Frito Scoops…I like Fritos best! Other than making it around New Years, we make it during the Spring and Summer months or just whenever we have a craving for it. We love munching on it while the rest of the meal is being prepared!
- 2 cans black beans drained & thoroughly rinsed
- 1 small can <g class="gr_ gr_54 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_disable_anim_appear Grammar multiReplace" id="54" data-gr-id="54">chopped</g> ripe olives
- ½ cup red onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- S&P to taste
- 1 medium red bell pepper finely diced
- 3 green onions diced
- 2 fresh jalapenos seeded & diced
- 1 pkg. 8 oz Philadelphia 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened
- In a medium bowl, combine beans, olives, jalapenos, onion, garlic, oil, lime juice, cumin, S&P. Stir well to combine. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Spread softened cream cheese onto a serving platter. Spoon bean mixture evenly over cheese; cover and chill. Serve with Fritos Scoops or Tortilla Chips.
Leave a Reply