This quick and easy recipe for Homemade Salted Caramel Sauce is ready in less than 10 minutes and is perfect for an easy dessert! Warm this sauce and serve it over vanilla ice cream with cut up bananas and toffee bits – heaven!
I started making this Homemade Salted Caramel Sauce when I began making my Sticky Toffee Pudding (you have to try this recipe – it’s very easy and incredibly good!).
I guess this sauce is really considered a toffee sauce, but I think they’re pretty interchangeable. I’ve added extra salt to this recipe because I really like it, but you can omit it if you want.
I use this sauce for quick desserts, especially ice cream! One of my favorite guilty pleasures is a bowl of vanilla ice cream, sliced bananas, this caramel sauce and toffee bits. Y’all! It’s like heaven in a bowl!
Tips for the Best Caramel Sauce:
- To avoid burning and boiling over, choose a large heavy-bottom saucepan.
- Have ingredients pre-measured and ready.
- DON’T substitute brown sugar with granulated white sugar, it will not turn out the same.
Drizzle Homemade Salted Caramel Sauce over these delicious desserts!
Have you made any of my recipes? Post it on Instagram and tag @jennifercooks123 and #jennifercooks!
Homemade Salted Caramel Sauce
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 3 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Maldon sea salt flakes
- Melt the butter, in a heavy saucepan.
- Add the brown sugar and heavy cream, and heat to boiling over medium-high heat, stirring constantly.
- Boil gently over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture is no longer grainy, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Immediately remove from heat and stir in vanilla and mix until smooth and well combined.
- Serve immediately or store in a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Store in refrigerator until ready to use.
- When ready to use, remove lid and microwave for 30 seconds at a time and stir. Continue heating until smooth and pourable.