Easy apple dumplings made with crisp granny smith apples, crescent rolls, butter, plenty of brown sugar and 7-Up are a wonderful easy dessert to whip up in no time! Serve with vanilla ice cream.
About 12 years ago, when I was newly married, I happened to be shopping in my local grocery store, specifically in the dairy section picking up the old usual: milk, butter, eggs, and cheese, when an elderly lady approached me and asked me which brand of butter I preferred. I was completely caught off guard and I had to think about it, but after a second or two I blurted out “Land O Lakes…I prefer Land O Lakes.” Then to catch me even further off guard, she asked me why?
I stood there wondering if she were some undercover product representative with her cute house dress on and cane in her hand…nah…probably not…but I wondered. I had tried many other brands before and nothing more than the taste kept bringing me back to Land O Lakes, so I told her…”I think it tastes better.” She went on to tell me that she was making a special recipe of Apple Dumplings that all the ladies in her Bridge Club were envious of and that the recipe called for a whole stick of butter, so she wanted it to be just right.
Well, I couldn’t pass up hearing about this envious recipe, so I asked her how she made it and she told me about crescent rolls, brown sugar, butter, Granny Smith Apple and a can of 7-Up. I had never heard of such a thing, but I thought if this little old lady puts her stamp of approval on it and it gets rave reviews that I would try it. Right then and there I loaded up my basket with the ingredients and jotted down the recipe on the palm of my hand, just as she had recited it to me.
I went home and that evening we had the most delicious, buttery, melt-in-your-mouth apple dumplings that I had ever tasted. We were completely hooked. I shared the recipe with everyone I could tell, my friends, my sister, mother, grandmother…everybody!
Now I want to share it with you. This recipe has been floating around the blogosphere and web for some time, but you can’t beat a great recipe and it would be a shame if I didn’t share it, along with its story! I hope you enjoy!
- 2 cans crescent rolls
- 4 Granny Smith Apples peeled & cored, quartered
- 1 stick butter melted
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar
- 1 ½ cups Sprite or 7-Up
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon or more for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Separate crescent rolls into triangles and place one quarter piece of apple in each triangle; wrap and place in sprayed baking pan.
- Combine melted butter with brown sugar and mix well to combine, and pour over wrapped apples in pan.
- Pour Sprite over all ingredients. Sprinkle apple dumplings evenly with cinnamon.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes. Cover loosely with foil if getting too brown. Let cool for about 10 minutes before eating to allow the sauce to thicken slightly.
- Great served with vanilla ice cream and caramel syrup.
Leave a Reply