Sometimes simple is best, and I believe this is true for Salmon. Try this Simply Grilled Wild Sockeye Salmon with a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper and grill for a super quick meal!
Question: What is Sockeye Salmon?
Sockeye salmon is very high in omega-3s and is an oilier fish with dark red flesh. It has a stronger flavor and works very well for grilling.
Tips for buying and preparing Sockeye Salmon:
- For best results, buy fresh wild salmon the same day you are going to cook it.
- When purchasing, smell the fish – it should smell like the sea. Avoid any that smell “fishy” or have an ammonia odor.
- Purchase fillets or steaks with uniform thickness so that they cook evenly.
- Don’t be afraid to eat wild Pacific salmon that’s not cooked all the way through. Medium rare is best because the fish retains its flavor and texture.
- Grilling is best! The fat content of Sockeye Salmon helps it stand up to the heat of the grill.
- Like many other fish and seafood, salmon cooks (and overcooks) quickly. Pay attention during cooking. A good rule is to cook it for about 8 minutes per inch of thickness.
- Season it lightly. Sockeye salmon is very flavorful on its own, so in my opinion, a little salt and pepper is all that it needs.
Want more seafood inspiration? Check out some of these great recipes!
Have you made any of my recipes? Post it on Instagram and tag @jennifercooks123 and #jennifercooks!
Simply Grilled Wild Sockeye Salmon
- 2-3 lb fillet Wild Sockeye Salmon
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil for drizzling
- Salt & Fresh Cracked Pepper to taste
- Brush grill rack with oil. Drizzle olive oil onto skin-side and top of salmon; sprinkle generously with salt and fresh cracked pepper. Place salmon on preheated grill, skin-side down. Grill salmon uncovered 5 minutes. Using 1 or 2 large spatulas, carefully turn fish over. Grill until fish just begins to flake in center, 4 to 5 minutes longer. Transfer salmon to platter and serve immediately.
- (If you are using a wood-burning or charcoal grill, leave uncovered. Only cover if using gas grill.)