These Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Sandwiches are made with pork roast and slow-cooked in a sweet and savory Texas-style sauce of onion, root beer, barbecue sauce, garlic, and seasonings.
This simple recipe is something you can throw together in a hurry and let simmer away while you’re at work or busy doing other things. As it cooks, your house will fill with the delicious smell of barbecued pulled pork, and will have your family craving a mouthwatering dinner!
I topped these sandwiches with my Classic Creamy Coleslaw, which makes a cool, crisp compliment to the tender meat. You can also serve these sandwiches with dill pickle slices and more sliced onion. I like to butter and toast the buns before building the sandwiches because it tastes really good and helps the buns hold up to the juices and meat much better. Refrigerate leftovers and eat within 3 days of cooking, or freeze them. Leftover meat and juices can be frozen for up to 3 months in a airtight container or zip top freezer bag. I hope you enjoy!
Try these other slow cooker recipes!
Have you made any of my recipes? Post it on Instagram and tag @jennifercooks123 and #jennifercooks!
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Sandwiches
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 3 to 4 pound pork roast
- 1 tablespoon seasoned salt used: Lawry’s
- 1 12 oz can root beer
- 1/4 cup liquid smoke
- 1 cup barbecue sauce used: Sweet Baby Ray’s
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 8 hamburger buns
- 4 tablespoons butter softened
- Grease the bowl of a 6-quart slow cooker with vegetable oil.
- Season all sides of pork roast with seasoned salt and place into the greased slow cooker bowl.
- Place chopped onions over seasoned meat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together root beer, liquid smoke, barbecue sauce, brown sugar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder and garlic. Pour mixture over pork roast and onions.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 6 to 8 hours until fork-tender.
- Carefully remove pork from slow cooker and shred with two forks. Return shredded meat to slow cooker and stir all of the juices and meat together.
- Spread softened butter on hamburger buns and toast butter-side up under oven broiler until golden brown.
- Spoon a generous amount of pork onto toasted bun bottoms and top with the other bun half. You may also top meat with coleslaw or additional onions and pickles.
- Serve immediately.
Mike Marko says
This makes me hungry!!! Will totally try this at home.