Massaman Curry is what I generally order at our local Thai restaurant. Sometimes I order it with chicken, sometimes with pork. Massaman Curry is basically a Thai curry with a lot of Indian influence. I use a canned curry paste that I think is very good. It’s called Maesri Thai Masaman Curry. I like using the canned version simply for the ease of putting this recipe together. You can certainly make a homemade version if you wish.
This recipe is simmered for several hours in a slow cooker where all the flavors marry together to create a creamy, slightly spicy, nutty, and flavorful curry. We like to eat ours over Jasmin or Botan Rice. I hope you enjoy!
Slow Cooker Massaman Chicken Curry
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into bite sized chunks
- 2 tablespoons olive or coconut oil
- 2 onions cut into chunks
- 1 cup mixed red yellow, orange bell peppers, cut into bite sized chunks (optional)
- 2 cups carrots cut into bite size chunks
- 6 red skin potatoes peeled and cubed
- 2 13.66 oz cans Coconut Milk
- 4 tablespoons thai red curry paste used: Maesri Thai masaman curry
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger paste used: Gourmet Garden Ginger
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemongrass paste used: Gourmet Garden Lemongrass
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice about 2 small lemons
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce to taste
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar to taste
- 2 cups chicken stock used: Kitchen Basics Chicken Stock
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup chopped dry roasted peanuts
- 6 to 8 cups cooked Jasmin or Botan Rice for serving
- In a large heavy bottom skillet or iron skillet, heat olive oil or coconut oil over medium high heat and begin browning the chicken pieces in batches. Place browned chicken into slow cooker.
- Place cubed potatoes, carrots, and mixed peppers on top of the meat.
- Drizzle about 1 tablespoon more oil into the skillet if needed, and brown the onion; spoon browned onion into the slow cooker with the other ingredients.
- Immediately add the curry paste, ginger and lemongrass paste to the skillet and "saute" the paste for about 1 minute.
- Stir in 1 can of coconut milk and reduce to medium-low heat and let simmer and reduce by half.
- Whisk in chicken broth and remaining can of coconut milk, along with peanut butter. Bring to a boil, then reduce to low and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Pour sauce over ingredients in slow cooker, gently stir ingredients to combine and set to low for about 4 to 6 hours.
- About 20 minutes before serving, season to taste with lemon juice, fish sauce and brown sugar.
- Stir in half of the chopped peanuts.
- Serve with hot cooked rice and sprinkle with additional chopped peanuts.