Roasted Tomato Soup
- 4 lb tomatoes halved lengthwise
- 8 garlic cloves left unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano crumbled
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 t celery flakes
- ½ t red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Arrange tomatoes, cut sides up, in 1 layer in a large shallow baking pan (with sides) and add garlic to pan. Drizzle tomatoes with oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper, celery flakes, and red pepper flakes. Roast seasoned tomatoes for 1 hour, then cool completely in pan. Peel garlic (the skins should easily slip right off).
- In a 6 to 8 quart heavy sauce pot, cook onion, oregano, and sugar in butter over low heat, stirring often, until onion is softened and slightly caramelized, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, garlic, and stock and simmer, covered, 20 minutes.
- Purée soup in batches in a blender (use caution when blending hot liquids), then force through a sieve into cleaned pot, discarding solids. Stir in cream and salt and pepper to taste and simmer 2 minutes.
- Divide soup among 8 bowls and float 1 wafer in center of each.