Loaded with bacon, cheddar cheese, and fresh chives, this creamy Potato Soup is perfect for a quick and delicious meal!
This savory potato soup is one of the best I’ve ever had and it’s incredibly simple to make!
Soup is so comforting to me, especially thick, creamy soups and chowders! The bad thing about soups is that some of them take a lot of effort and time, but not this one!
Every bite of this potato soup tastes like the creamiest, most delicious baked potato, loaded with bacon, cheese, sour cream and chives!
My boys absolutely love this soup and it’s great that they do. Being teenagers, they can eat a lot, and this soup is very filling and easy on the budget.
Here are some tips for making Potato Soup:
- Start your pot of potatoes with cold broth. Starting with hot broth causes the outside to get done before the inside of the potato, and you’ll end up with partially cooked potatoes.
- Try to cut your potatoes into uniform size pieces so that they cook evenly.
- For a smooth and creamy soup, puree about half of the soup while it’s in the pot with this stick blender. It’s one of my favorite kitchen tools!
Shopping List Ingredients for Potato Soup:
- Russet Potatoes
- Fresh Garlic
- Chicken Broth
- Half and Half
- Heavy Cream
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Fresh Chives
- Sour Cream
More soul-soothing soups! Try these reader favorite recipes:
Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
Have you made any of my recipes? Post it on Instagram and tag @jennifercooks123 and #jennifercooks!
- 3 lbs russet potatoes peeled and diced into 1” (about 8-10 Large potatoes)
- 1 pound bacon cut into small pieces, divided
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 large cloves garlic minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups sour cream divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup fresh chives minced
- Place bacon pieces in a large Dutch Oven or soup pot over medium heat and cook until bacon is crisp and browned.
- Remove bacon pieces and set aside, leaving the fat in the bottom of the pot.
- Add butter and chopped onion and cook over medium heat until onions are tender (3-5 minutes).
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Add diced potatoes to the pot along with chicken broth; stir well.
- Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork (about 10 minutes).
- Add half and half, heavy cream, salt, and pepper; stir well
- Reduce heat to simmer.
- Using a stick blender (also called an immersion blender), puree about half of the soup.
- Stir in 1 cup sour cream and half of the reserved bacon pieces, stir well.
- Allow soup to simmer for 15 minutes before serving.
- Top each bowl with additional sour cream, bacon, cheddar cheese, and chives.
Leave a Reply