Burgers with Blue Cheese Mayo and Sherry Vidalia Onions
- 1/2 cup 2 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- 1/4 cup canola mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme divided
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco
- 1 pound lean ground sirloin
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon steak sauce used: A1
- 2 teaspoons coarse black pepper divided
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 1/4-inch-thick slices Vidalia or other sweet onion
- 1 16 oz pkg sliced baby bella mushrooms, optional
- Cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 4 1 1/2-ounce whole-wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Combine 1/2 cup blue cheese, mayonnaise, 1 teaspoon thyme, and Tabasco sauce in a small bowl; stir well and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine ground beef, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, steak sauce, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Mix well. Divide beef into 4 equal portions, shaping each portion into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Sprinkle beef evenly with 1 teaspoon black pepper and salt.
- Brush oil evenly over both sides of onion slices; sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Place the patties and onions on grill rack coated with cooking spray; cover and grill for 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Meanwhile, in a grill pan sprayed with cooking spray, quickly saute mushrooms.
- Set patties aside; keep warm. Place onion slices and sauteed mushrooms in a zip-top plastic bag with vinegar and thyme; seal. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Spread cut sides of buns evenly with mayonnaise mixture. Arrange lettuce and tomato on bottom half of each bun; top with 1 patty, 1/4 of onion and mushroom mixture, and bun top.