Baja-Style Beer Battered Fish Tacos with Creamy Cilantro Lime Sauce
- 1 ½ pounds tilapia or other white fish of your choice
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounce bottle beer I used Shiner Bock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic optional
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 18 corn tortillas
- 3 cups Broccoli slaw 1-12 oz. pkg
- 1 lime
- 2 T fresh cilantro finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded & diced
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic minced & mashed
- 3 Haas avocadoes sliced for garnish
- 1 lime cut into wedges, for garnish
- Preheat oil in a deep heavy bottomed Dutch oven or Fryer to 375 degrees F.
- Combine 1 t salt, ½ t granulated garlic and ½ t pepper, mix well; set aside.
- In a large bowl, add flour and salt; mix to combine. Whisk in 1 bottle of beer and mix until combined. Cut fish into 1-inch wide strips and pat dry with clean paper towels. Season both sides of fish with salt mixture. Dip each strip in the beer batter and carefully slide each piece of fish into preheated oil. Fry fish, turning over often, until deep golden and cooked through, about 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined baking sheet and keep warm in oven. Fry remaining fish in batches, returning oil to 375 degrees F between batches.
- Zest lime and add to medium mixing bowl. Juice lime and add to bowl. Add finely chopped cilantro. Slice off stem from jalapeno; slice in half lengthwise, scrape out seeds with teaspoon and finely chop. Combine lime zest, juice, cilantro, jalapeno pepper, mayonnaise and garlic; mix well. Stir in broccoli slaw and mix to coat well.
- For Tacos:
- Place 2 strips fried fish on a warm tortilla and garnish with dressed cilantro-lime broccoli slaw. Serve immediately with sliced avocados and lime wedges.
- To warm tortillas:
- Dampen a clean kitchen towel with water and loosely wrap tortillas. If placing in the oven to warm, wrap again with aluminum foil. Otherwise, you can warm them in the microwave in the damp towel for just a minute or so.