Looking for the perfect hard, medium, or soft boiled egg? It’s really very simple. Just follow these easy steps!
Learning how to boil eggs is very simple, but first, you need to decide what type of boiled eggs you want.
- Hard-cooked eggs are eggs with a firm white and a solid cooked yolk. Cook time: 15 minutes.
- Medium cooked eggs have a firm white and a slightly softer, sticky yolk. Cook time: 6 minutes.
- Soft cooked eggs have a firm white and gooey, runny yolk. Cook time: 3 minutes.
Have you ever gotten that nasty grayish-green ring around the yolk of a boiled egg?
It’s OK to eat – it’s completely harmless, but it’s not very pretty. You’ll be able to prevent that by specifically following these directions. The greenish-gray ring is caused by overcooking.
How to Store Boiled Eggs:
- For hard-cooked eggs, you can store them unpeeled, in their shells in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Peeled eggs can be stored covered in cold water in a glass or plastic container with a tight-fitting lid for up to 1 week. Change out the water daily.
Use this recipe to make my Classic Deviled Eggs!
Have you made any of my recipes? Post on Instagram and tag @jennifercooks123 and #jennifercooks!
How to Boil Eggs
- 12 eggs older eggs are best and easiest to peel
- water enough to cover the eggs
- First, place eggs in a saucepot large enough to hold them in a single layer.
- Fill the pot with cold water to about an inch above the eggs.
- Cook them over medium-high heat just until boiling.
- As soon as eggs come to a full boil, remove from heat immediately and cover with a tight-fitting lid. Set timer and time for 15 minutes.
- When time is up, strain off the water and cover with cold tap water. At this point, I add a generous amount of ice and let the eggs rest until chilled.
- Once chilled, tap eggs on the counter at both ends and roll back and forth across countertop to crush shells completely. (Don't roll extremely hard or you'll break the egg apart.)
- Once cracked, begin peeling at the large end, under cool running water to help loosen the egg from the shell.
- Medium and soft-cooked eggs following the exact same method, just adjust the time they stay covered in the hot water.
Leave a Reply