Chili Con Carne
- 2 pounds fine dice stew meat
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef
- 1 ½ pounds coarse ground chili meat
- 2 tablespoons oil
- ½ cup Masa Harina or AP flour
- 1 large onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced & mashed
- 12 oz can tomato paste
- 29 oz can tomato sauce
- 12 oz bottle beer I used Shiner Bock
- 32 oz carton beef broth
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground red pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoons salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot, heat oil; meanwhile toss meat with Masa Harina and two large pinches of salt and cook meat (working in batches) over medium-high heat until well browned.
- Add onion and sauté until onion softens slightly. Add garlic and sauté until aroma develops. Add tomato paste and cook, while stirring, until tomato paste begins to brown.
- Add beer and broth and stir well, deglazing the pan.
- Add all remaining ingredients; bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 45 minutes on low heat, stirring occasionally. Adjust seasoning to taste. Serve hot with cornbread, chips, cheese, and sour cream.