Soup, soup, soup! I’m crazy about soup lately…can you tell? Have you ever been to Olive Garden and had their Zuppa Toscana? Well, I happen to love this soup and can’t seem to get enough of it, so I developed this recipe that, I think, tastes just like it!
Please forgive the picture…the orange-y separation in the soup was because I rushed things to try to get a picture before I lost daylight! I continued to simmer this soup for about 10 to 15 more minutes and everything came together and looked and tasted perfect!
- Zuppa Toscana
- 2 pounds Italian sausage, removed from casings
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 4 large russet potatoes, washed, quartered & sliced thin
- 10 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 cups Kale, washed & chopped
- S&P, to taste
- 1 loaf sourdough French bread, for serving
- ½ cup fresh Parmesan cheese, for serving
- In a large soup pot, brown Italian sausage. Drain fat and add onion and red pepper flakes and continue to sauté until onion is translucent, but not browned.
- In a small skillet, fry bacon until crisp, then stir in garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds. Remove from heat immediately. Add bacon mixture to sausage mixture, then add the chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a medium simmer.
- Add potatoes and cook until tender (about 20 minutes).
- Stir in cream and continue to simmer (do not boil) for an additional 10 minutes. Stir in kale and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot with French bread and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
I’m linking up with :: Crumbs & Chaos ▪ Tater Tots and Jello ▪ Fingerprints on the Fridge ▪ Mom Trends ▪ Thirty Handmade Days ▪ At the Picket Fence ▪ Savannah’s Savory Bites ▪ Skip To My Lou ▪ A Southern Fairytale ▪ Add A Pinch ▪ Sumo’s Sweet Stuff ▪ Dittle Dattle ▪ DIY Home Sweet Home ▪ Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker ▪ DIY Home Sweet Home ▪ I Should Be Mopping The Floor ▪ Tip Junkie ▪ Crazy for Crust ▪ Naptime Creations ▪ Funky Polka Dot Giraffe ▪ Blessed with Grace ▪ Mandy’s Recipe Box ▪ Permanent Posies ▪ I Blog 4 Me ▪ Balancing Beauty and Bedlam