This may not look like a pretty picture-worthy dish, but I promise that it’s a good one! Sometimes classic comfort foods just hit the spot. This is another version of Shepherds Pie, similar to the one I posted here, but with a few ingredient changes.
I usually make shepherds pie to use up leftover ingredients, so that’s why you see me using roast beef. When I make roast, like my Overnight Pot Roast, I like making a lot because I love the leftovers…but after a day or two of those leftovers, if there’s still a good amount left, I generally turn it into Shepherds Pie.
For this version, I had only the roast beef and mashed potatoes as leftovers, but in the fridge, I had a large package of sliced cremini mushrooms. I decided that Madeira wine would be a delicious flavor boost to both the beef and mushrooms. Madeira wine is a fortified Portuguese wine that has a dry, smokey, caramelly flavor. It’s not too sweet and compliments chicken, beef, and mushrooms very well in cooking.
- 4-6 cups leftover roast beef, diced or shredded
- 3 c leftover beef gravy
- 1 pound sliced cremini or button mushrooms
- 1 cup Madeira wine
- 2 T Worcestershire sauce
- 4 c leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 t salt, to taste
- ½ t pepper, to taste
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add mushrooms and sauté until golden brown; add garlic and thyme and continue cooking until fragrant. Stir in Madeira wine and Worcestershire sauce and reduce liquid by about half. Add gravy, and heat through; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Place chopped or shredded roast beef into a greased baking dish. Pour mushroom mixture over meat.
- Beat the egg yolks into cooled or cold mashed potatoes and spoon over the meat mixture. Spread evenly and rake the tines of a fork over the top creating grooves. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter and drizzle over potato topping.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes, or until mashed potatoes are browned and meat mixture is hot and bubbly.
Incoming search terms:
- shepherds pie with leftover roast beef
- shepherds pie with roast beef