The holidays are right around the corner and this year has been unseasonably warm here in Texas, so it doesn’t feel much like the holidays at the moment. The weatherman is forecasting cooler temperatures for the upcoming weekend, so that will surely help the holiday spirit come alive.
One thing about the holidays is that you can bet on plenty of family favorites and sweet treats. But what if you’re short on time and need a quick dessert? Or maybe you’re not the cooking or baking type? If any of those apply, or if it’s another reason, I’ve got a great solution for you! Affogato! Peppermint Mocha Affogato to be exact.
Affogato is a very simple dessert made up of ice cream and coffee. It’s like a coffee float, or a grown up milkshake. There are so many possibilities of different combinations when it comes to this dessert, so feel free to use your imagination!
Check out my “original flavor” Affogato Al Caffe recipe HERE.
I recently received some samples of Gourmesso coffee capsules and am using the Ristretto Blend Forte, which is a dark roast espresso with an intense flavor that blends well with the sweet creaminess of ice cream. For the peppermint part, I’m using Blue Bell’s Peppermint ice cream, which has plenty of crushed peppermint candies. Finally, I’ll top it all off with a swirl of whipped cream, a drizzle of chocolate syrup and a sprinkle of crushed peppermint candy. Feel free to add a shot of your favorite liquer to add some extra holiday cheer!
I like to scoop my ice cream into glass mugs ahead of time and place them back into the freezer. Right before I’m ready to serve. I’ll begin brewing Demi tasse cups of espresso. While the espresso is brewing, I get the chocolate syrup, whipped cream and crushed peppermint out and into an assembly line. Once the espressos are brewed, simply pour it over the prepared ice cream, then drizzle with chocolate syrup, top with whipped cream, drizzle with more chocolate syrup and top with crushed peppermint. If you’re adding liquer to this, add the shot to the espresso before pouring over the ice cream.
Remember, Affogato should be served immediately and without delay because you don’t want all of the ice cream to melt. These simple treats are great all own their own, or serve them up with an assortment of cookies.
This simple dessert will dazzle your guests and look like you went to a lot of trouble with its pretty presentation. I hope you enjoy!
Peppermint Mocha Affogato
Servings: 4 servings
- 4 double shots of espresso or dark strong coffee
- 8 generous scoops peppermint ice cream
- 8 tablespoons chocolate syrup
- Redi Whip Whipped Cream
- Crushed Peppermint Candy
- Scoop ice cream into 4 glass mugs ahead of time and place them back into the freezer.
- Right before serving, brew 8 Demi tasse cups of espresso.
- While the espresso is brewing, get the chocolate syrup, whipped cream and crushed peppermint out and into an assembly line.
- Once the espressos are brewed, remove ice cream cups from the freezer and drizzle with a generous amount of chocolate syrup.
- Top with whipped cream, an extra drizzle of chocolate syrup and top with crushed peppermint.
- *If you're adding liquer to this, add the shot to the espresso before pouring over the ice cream.
Wow! I would love to try out this one. Thanks for sharing your recipe. This definitely what my tastebuds need!
Mike Marko says
Oh My God! After a whole day at work, I think I need to have this one. Oh!
Mike Marko says
I already tried it at home and oh my god! it’s very delicious.