This creamy macaroni and cheese will hit the spot when you’re craving comfort food! Three types of cheese make this easy southern dish extra special.
Because this is so easy to make from scratch, there’s no need to buy the boxed stuff that’s full of dehydrated ingredients.
When I think of family gatherings and the food that’s often served on the table I can almost always a dish of creamy macaroni and cheese at most meals. It goes with just about anything and everyone loves it, especially the kids!
In this recipe, you’ll notice three different types of cheese. The cream cheese and Velveeta cheese will melt easily with the butter in hot pasta, however the cheddar can become stringy if you’re not careful. You need to make sure to add the cheddar cheese by small handfuls while stirring so that it doesn’t break down and become oily and stringy.
Do you have a favorite side dish recipe? I’d love to hear about it in the comments!
Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 1 stick salted butter cut into pieces
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 8 ounces Velveeta cut into small cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Cook pasta with enough water to cover and 1 tablespoon salt, until just tender, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain pasta and return to pot.
- While pasta is still hot, add butter and cream cheese, and stir until butter and cream cheese are melted.
- Add half-and-half to the pot and stir until warmed.
- Stir in the Velveeta cubes and stir until mostly melted.
- Stir in the cheddar cheese by small handfuls and stir until blended in. Continue adding the cheese in small amounts until all is incorporated.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir to mix well.
- * Many times I serve this dish without baking because it’s ready right out of the pot! If you prefer baked macaroni and cheese, spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray and bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for about 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.