I know I’m slow to the party, but for years I’ve watched cooking show after cooking show combine strawberries and balsamic vinegar and tout it’s greatness. For me, I just couldn’t get my mind around adding vinegar to a fruit…until now. These grilled strawberries are truly delicious and a great ending to almost any meal, especially for a cookout.
This is really more instruction than a recipe it’s so simple. On Monday, I told you about The French Farm, which specializes in imported European gourmet foods and kitchen accessories from small, family owned businesses.
In this recipe, I used their Terre Exotique Balsamic Vinegar Aged 10 Years, which is an amazing balsamic vinegar that is so smooth and rich, it doesn’t even need to be reduced! I tossed the berries with some of the balsamic vinegar and granulated sugar and grilled them for about 6 to 8 minutes, just to soften them a bit. After grilling, I plopped them all onto a couple of scoops of vanilla ice cream, then drizzled a small amount of balsamic vinegar on top.
Since I’m watching my carbs, I used Splenda instead of sugar and used Breyer’s Carb Smart Vanilla Ice Cream and I thought it was all really good. In fact, the smokey-sweet grilled strawberries and balsamic masked any artificial flavor of the low carb ice cream that I don’t like.
#CookOutWeek - Grilled Strawberries
- 24 ripe strawberries hulled
- 4 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar used: Terre Exotique Aged 10 years
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 carton vanilla ice cream
- In a medium bowl, combine strawberries and balsamic vinegar, toss to coat.
- Sprinkle with sugar and toss to coat.
- Thread onto wooden or metal skewers.
- Heat grill to medium-high.
- Place strawberry skewers onto preheated grill and grill for about 3 to 4 minutes per side or until slightly softened and grill-marked.
- Serve immediately over vanilla ice cream with additional aged balsamic vinegar, if desired.
A special thank you to The Pinterest Kitchen for organizing CookOutWeek! Check out the details below and enter to win some awesome prizes!
#CookoutWeek – an entire week filled with yummy summer recipes perfect for your next cookout, along with a fun giveaway, courtesy of some awesome sponsors.
It’s super easy to enter, and one lucky winner will get:
- Char-Broil American Gourmet 600 Series Charcoal Grill (see specs here!)
- Edmond Fallot Dijon Mustard, French Farm Butcher Salt Box, & Confit of Figs & Balsamic Vinegar from The French Farm
- Sauce 3-Pack (Ketchup, BBQ, Veracha) from True Made Foods
- Wimpy’s BBQ Rub, Dilly Dust Seasoning, and Cheryl’s Jamaican Me Hungry Seasoning from Swine Dining
- A Perfect Pickler Kit from Perfect Pickler
- A gift basket of products from Fungus Among Us
- A gift bag of products from Dr. Praeger’s Sensible Foods
- All Natural Boneless Duck Breasts, Fully Cooked Roast Half Ducks w/Orange Sauce, Duck Bacon, Duck Wing Drummettes from Maple Leaf Farms
It’s pretty much everything you need to host an awesome cookout this summer. It’s a prize pack worth over $300! Thank you so much to all of the wonderful sponsors listed above, who have made #CookoutWeek possible.
Don’t forget to check back throughout the week with all of the bloggers participating to get some yummy #CookoutWeek recipes. Here’s the full list of participating bloggers:
The PinterTest Kitchen • 2 Cookin’ Mamas • A Day in the Life on the Farm • addicted 2 recipes • Aimee Broussard & Co. • Amy’s Cooking Adventures • Angels Home Sweet Homestead • Bakin’ and Eggcerpts • Balancing Motherhood • Body Rebooted • Cheese Curd In Paradise • Cindy’s Recipes and Writings • Cook With 5 Kids • Cook. Craft. Love. • Cookaholic Wife • Cricket’s Confections • Crumb: A Food Blog • Eat, Drink, Be Healthy! • Everyday Eileen • Fairyburger • Food Parsed • Get the Good Stuff! • Goodie Godmother • Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks • Home in the Finger Lakes • Jennifer Cooks • Jessie Weaver • Kate’s Recipe Box • Life on Food • Little House Big Alaska • Little Scratch Kitchen • Making Miracles • Moore or Less Cooking • Rhubarb and Honey • Savvy In The Kitchen • Seduction in the Kitchen • Simple Food 365 • Style Island • Thanks for Cookin’! • The Food Hunter’s Guide To Cuisine • The Hungary Buddha Eats the World • The Spiffy Cookie • The Weekday Gourmet • This is How I Cook • Tramplingrose • Vintage Kitty • West Via Midwest
Looking forward to sharing some yummy recipes with all of our readers.