Blackeyed Pea Soup with Sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 12 ounce package fully cooked Andouille or smoked sausage links, chopped
- 10 cups chicken stock
- 1 16 ounce bag dried blackeyed peas, picked through, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves chopped
- Optional: 4 cups collard mustard or kale greens, cleaned and coarsely chopped
- In a dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Cook onions and celery until softened.
- Add sausage and sauté until heated through. Stir in garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds to 1 minute – do not brown.
- Add chicken stock and black-eyed peas to the pot. Bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat to simmer. Allow to cook on low until peas are cooked, about 2 to 3 hours.
- Stir in collard greens and continue cooking until greens are wilted, approximately 5-10 minutes.
- Add vinegar, red pepper flakes, thyme and salt and pepper to taste.