Who remembers coming home from school and reaching for that pile of homemade Rice Krispie Treats? Oh I do. But somewhere along the way I forgot and stopped making them. I don’t know why. Maybe it was my quest to make more “gourmet” desserts, who knows. Over the last several years, I have found my appreciation for these simple sweets and have perfected what I think and what my family thinks are The Best Rice Krispie Treats ever.
What’s different? Oh let me tell you. They have more butter and more marshmallows. Not only that, I have added to the original recipe, pure vanilla and a little salt – that takes these babies to the moon! Y’all know how I like salted butter. So, yes, in addition to salted butter, I add more salt. You won’t believe how great they taste with this addition! I also like to double the recipe and press them into a large, deep dish baking sheet, making them extra thick. Quinton calls them Rice Krispie Bricks, they’re so big. Hey, we’re serious about getting a nice size portion of our favorite Rice Krispie Treats. They don’t last long at our house – we’re hooked, y’all!
The cake pan I used is my very favorite, especially for sheet cake and bars. It’s 19 x 14 x 3.5″ and came with a snap-on tight-fitting lid, which makes it perfect for potlucks and get-togethers! You can find it here and get it in two days on Prime.
Best Rice Krispie Treats
- 20 cups Rice Krispies Cereal just shy of 2-12-oz boxes
- 2 sticks salted butter
- 2 10 oz bags Jumbo marshmallows
- 2 10 oz bags Mini marshmallows
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla
- Line a large baking sheet with foil or parchment paper, then butter or spray with cooking spray; set aside.
- Measure out 20 cups of cereal into TWO large bowls, dividing evenly; set aside.
- In a large stock pot, melt butter over medium heat.
- Once melted, stir in 2 bags of Jumbo marshmallows, melt, stirring often.
- When melted, stir in 2 bags of Mini marshmallows and remove from heat. (The marshmallows will not be fully melted)
- Stir in salt and vanilla.
- Pour melted marshmallow mixture evenly over BOTH bowls of cereal.
- Working quickly, use a rubber spatula to fold and mix the cereal and marshmallow mixture until all cereal is thoroughly coated.
- Pour all coated cereal onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Wet your hands with cold water, shaking off the excess, and press the cereal mixture firmly and evenly into pan.
- All this to cool and firm up. (I place mine in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or so for faster results)
- Lift out of the pan using the sides of the foil and cut into desired size squares.
Leave a Reply