Slow cooker recipes are great for weeknight meals when everyone is rushing to get everything done after work and school. Not to mention all of the kid’s extra activities ~ most nights of the week are a mad house at my house!
If you spend just 15 minutes the night before prepping for this recipe, you’ll reap the rewards when you walk back into your house and smell the delicious dinner that’s waiting for you. You’ll just have to cook a little pasta or warm some mashed potatoes, set out some warm crusty bread and you’re ready to sit down to a warm and wonderful meal!
Slow Cooker Creamy Tarragon Chicken
Author: Jennifer Locklin
Serves: Serves 6
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 T butter
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 T Dijon mustard
- 1 cup dry white wine
- ½ cup onion, diced
- 3 oz pkg real bacon bits
- 1 cup Swiss cheese, grated
- 8 oz pkg baby bella or cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 T fresh tarragon, minced
- ½ t salt
- ¼ t pepper
- In a medium bowl, whisk together soups, cream, mustard and cheese; set aside.
- Pat chicken dry and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Heat oil and butter in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Brown chicken on both sides in several batches, about 3 minutes per batch. Transfer chicken to a large slow cooker. Pour real bacon bits over chicken.
- Add onion and mushrooms to skillet and cook, stirring, until tender, about 2 minutes. Stir in garlic and sauté until fragrant. Add wine and deglaze by boiling over high heat, scraping up brown bits, until reduced by half. Stir mushroom mixture into soup mixture and pour over chicken breasts in slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Carefully remove chicken breasts to serving platter or plates. Stir tarragon into sauce and spoon sauce over chicken.
- Serve with hot buttered pasta or creamy mashed potatoes.