Attention chocoholics! This brownie is for you!
Whether you like walnuts or not, this brownie is moist and fudge-y and intensely chocolatey. The calories are high, so this is an indulgent treat. I will tell you that these are very rich, so you might want to start off with 1/2 a brownie, that way you can “have your brownie and eat it too”…cut the brownie in half…cut the calories in half.
If you’re like me, and worry about having these laying around the kitchen, just begging you to nibble on them, just keep a few out on a plate for the evening dessert, wrap the rest in foil, then place them in an air-tight and pop them into the freezer for another time. They will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Jumbo Walnut Fudge Brownies
Author: Jennifer Locklin
- 1 ½ sticks salted butter
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 6 large eggs
- 2½ cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons strong-brewed espresso
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup walnut halves, lightly toasted and coarsely chopped (optional)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt, (optional for sprinkling on top)
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Spray a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. In microwave, melt the butter with the chopped chocolate for 1 minute at a time, stirring in between to check for melting and hot spots. In a small bowl, whisk the flour with the baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, using a handheld mixer, beat the eggs with the sugar at medium-high speed until pale and thick, about 2 minutes. Beat in the vanilla and espresso. Add the flour mixture and beat until just incorporated. Beat in the melted chocolate at medium speed. Using a spatula, stir in the chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle evenly with ½ teaspoon sea salt. Bake in the center of the oven for about 1 hour, until the top is shiny and lightly cracked, the edges are set and the center is still a little jiggly. Transfer the dish to a rack and let cool completely.
- Cut the brownie into 20 large rectangles and serve.