- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup dry plain breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce divided
- 1 packet dry onion soup mix
- 1 teaspoon season salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pound sliced cremini or baby bella mushrooms
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 large onions sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Add 1 packet of dry onion soup mix to about 2 pounds of hamburger meat.
- Add fresh black pepper, season salt and 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce. Add milk, breadcrumbs and egg. Mix all ingredients until well combined. (Do not overmix or it will toughen the end result)
- Portion out meat and pat into even patties.
- Heat 1/4 cup of olive oil with 2 tablespoons of butter until the butter is melted and has stopped foaming; add patties and brown. Flip patties and brown evenly on both sides. Place browned patties in a greased 9x13 baking dish; set aside.
- Next add the baby bellas and saute until golden (add more olive oil as necessary). Remove mushrooms from pan and pour over meat patties; set aside.
- Saute onions until deep golden brown; add garlic and saute until fragrant. Spread over mushroom and meat patties; set aside.
- Add remaining butter and flour to the pan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for about 1 minute. Whisk in beef broth and 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce and continue cooking while stirring for an additional 2 minutes and free of any lumps.
- Pour gravy over meat, onion and mushrooms and cover baking dish with foil. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes.