Warm up with this filling Creamy White Chicken Chili! An easy to make chicken chili recipe that is loaded with juicy bites of chicken, great northern beans, mild green chiles, garlic, cream cheese and more!
This Creamy White Chicken Chili is so easy to throw together for a quick dinner and perfect for warming the belly during cold weather! I love making soups when the weather finally cools off here in Texas.
Sometimes I get stuck in a rut and make the same things over and over. You wouldn’t think that since I write so many recipes, but it’s true. So when I thought about making chili, I wanted something a little different. I had plenty of chicken on hand, and my husband brought home a stash of freshly roasted Hatch chili peppers. It was the perfect storm to have me making this recipe!
A friend from church has an aunt that lives in Hatch, New Mexico, and every year she sends him about 50 pounds of Hatch green chiles. When the package arrives, the guys plan an impromptu get together to roast all of these chiles over an open fire. They typically cookout the wild game that they’ve gotten and other dishes and spend the evening eating and roasting and packing these chiles for storage for later use.
Luckily, we get to bring home a bundle of packages of roasted chiles to freeze and use throughout the year.
Ok, back to my Creamy White Chicken Chili. If you don’t have freshly roasted green chiles at your fingertips, it’s totally okay to use canned green chiles!
How to make Creamy White Chicken Chili in the slow cooker or Crockpot
If you’re like me, you like to take some shortcuts! The recipe card is the stovetop method of making this soup. However, if you want to make it in your slow cooker so that you can have it ready when you get home, here’s how:
- In a large skillet, saute the onions and garlic in the canola oil. Once tender, transfer the onion mixture to the bowl of your slow cooker.
- Place the remaining ingredients into the slow cooker, except the cream cheese and heavy cream.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or high for 2 to 4 hours, depending on how much time you have.
- Before serving, stir in the cream cheese and stir until melted.
- Once cream cheese is melted, stir in the heavy cream, cover and continue cooking for about 30 minutes or until heated through.
Looking for more satisfying soups? Check out more reader favorites!
Have you made any of my recipes? Post it on Instagram and tag @jennifercooks123 and #jennifercooks!
Creamy White Chicken Chili
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cans 15-1/2 ounces each great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can 14-1/2 ounces chicken broth
- 2 cans 4 ounces each chopped green chiles
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 ounces cream cheese cubed
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Tortilla chips optional
- Sour Cream optional
- Grated Cheese optional
- Sliced seeded jalapeno pepper optional
- Fresh Avocado Chunks optional
- In a large saucepan, saute the chicken, onion and garlic powder in oil until chicken is no longer pink.
- Add the beans, broth, chiles and seasonings and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Stir in cubed cream cheese and stir until melted.
- Add cream and heat through.
- Top each bowl with sour cream, grated cheese, jalapenos, avocado and tortilla chips, if desired.