Chicken Parmesan, for me, is kin to one of my comfort food favorites, Chicken Fried Steak! I love the tender, juicy and seasoned meat with that crunchy, crispy crust. The savory marinara sauce and gooey mozzarella knock it out of the park for me when I’m in the mood for Italian!
In this Chicken Parmesan recipe, I call for jarred spaghetti sauce, which is just fine if you want something quick and easy to grab and use. But if you have just a few more minutes, I have an almost equally quick and easy Raw Marinara Sauce that is outstanding. I highly recommend it for this recipe!
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 cups panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 packet dry Italian dressing mix
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 pound mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 2 (24 oz) jars tomato & basil spaghetti sauce or 1 recipe Raw Marinara Sauce
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 pounds spaghetti, cooked
- Place boneless chicken breasts between two pieces of plastic wrap. Starting in the center and working out to the edges, pound lightly with the flat side of a meat mallet until the chicken is even in thickness.
- In a medium bowl, combine breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese and dry Italian dressing mix; mix well. In a shallow bowl or pie plate, whisk together milk and eggs until well blended. In a separate shallow bowl or pie plate, place 1 cup of flour. Coat each chicken breast with flour, shaking off excess. Dip into milk mixture, then into breadcrumb mixture, coating evenly and pressing into chicken.
- Heat about ¼-inch of oil inn a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and cook for 5 to 6 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- In a large casserole dish or lasagna pan, pour 2 jars of spaghetti sauce in and place fried chicken on top of sauce in one layer. Top each piece of chicken with a thick slice of cheese and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until sauce is hot and bubbly and cheese is melted. Serve with hot spaghetti noodles and garlic bread.