I love soups, especially this time of year when the weather is turning cooler. This soup is an easy one to throw together on a cold day and can be easily done in the crockpot if you don’t want to worry about a bubbling pot on the stove for 3 hours.
If you go the crock pot route, simply following the instructions to the point where you bring the soup mixture to a boil. Pour into a slow cooker and set on low for 6 to 8 hours covered, or on high for 4 to 6 hours covered. Then, follow the final instructions by adding the collard greens (if desired), and seasoning ingredients. If adding the greens, cover and continue cooking in crockpot for an additional 20 to 30 minutes, or until wilted.
Slurp up a bowl or two of this delicious soup with your favorite cornbread or garlic bread, and hot sauce, if you like it extra spicy!
Blackeyed Pea Soup with Sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 (12 ounce) package fully cooked Andouille or smoked sausage links, chopped
- 10 cups chicken stock
- 1 (16 ounce) bag dried blackeyed peas, picked through, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- Optional: 4 cups collard, mustard or kale greens, cleaned and coarsely chopped
- In a dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Cook onions and celery until softened.
- Add sausage and sauté until heated through. Stir in garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds to 1 minute – do not brown.
- Add chicken stock and black-eyed peas to the pot. Bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat to simmer. Allow to cook on low until peas are cooked, about 2 to 3 hours.
- Stir in collard greens and continue cooking until greens are wilted, approximately 5-10 minutes.
- Add vinegar, red pepper flakes, thyme and salt and pepper to taste.
Incoming search terms:
- black eyed pea soup with sausage
- black eyed peas recipe crock pot